Skip to main content

An Open Letter to My Teachers

Team,

Many of you have been asking about state test scores and when we will know those results. We know those scores will be released soon with public release being determined by NYSED. 

Looking back on state test days of administration, I remember how much our kids poured into the assessments. I remember how much perseverance they showed. I remember how each of you worked deliberately to set a can do, do your best attitude.

I also remember your faces and that look of defeat at the end of some of those days. You worried about how our students would fare. You were careful not to talk about that but I could see it in your eyes.

But those days are just pieces of an entire year of instruction. I know that you worked incredibly hard last year to improve and maximize instruction. 

Do we still have areas where we need to improve?

Yes. (Doesn't everyone?)

Still, haven't we already made improvements that may not show in that kind of data yet?

You bet we have!

Our plan, when the scores are released, should be to look at those scores as part of our multiple sources of information. What we will do is critically review the information to adjust curriculum where needed and provide supports to students where warranted. 

What we won't do is criticize ourselves or our performance. I'll stand by the efforts of this team as long as I am given the privilege of being your principal. Remember, our work matters. As long as we keep kids first, we will get there. 

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it". - A. Williams

All the best,

L




Comments

  1. Lisa, this is a great post. Here are my three take-aways: 1) I love how you are planning to use the scores as formative assessment - not a final one. 2) Also, I appreciate that you acknowledge that the scores are just one piece of the puzzle. 3) You emphasize team and working together. Your kids and teachers are lucky to have you!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, Thanks so much for reading. I needed to be sure I went on record before the release of the scores. The teachers in my bldg are a special group. I know I drive them crazy (I drive myself crazy) and I still make many mistakes, but in the end, we are a team. Teams support each other.

      Delete
  2. This was a great way for teachers to share their expertise. A unique way to use meeting time that was helpful to everyone. Can't wait to do it again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    As a lead learner, you are moving in the right direction with your staff. Your growth mindset will take you far because you are focused on improving teaching and learning in a positive way. Enjoy the start of school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...