Long car rides always help me put things in perspective. The time trapped in the car forces reflection, conversation, and observation.
Reflection: Music usually helps facilitate this. An old favorite playing on the radio instantly reminds you of a treasured memory.Certain lyrics of songs can cause you to think and even sing along. If you are like me, you find yourself latching onto certain phrases from the lyrics. Songs, new and even nearly as old as I am, have a new meaning. I feel like sometimes lyrics can help me clarify how I might be feeling about something personally or professionally.
Conversation: Long car rides require conversations. No one can just leave the conversation. When my family and I travel, we laugh a lot in the car. On a recent car ride, I used the time to talk "out loud" about some personal goals that I have.
As we traveled closer to home, I became increasingly aware that this escape from all other distractions and responsibilities would soon be ending. Yet, in some way, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. Some time away on a long car ride can give that (back) to you.
One of the great songs I heard yesterday that made think was this one:
Reflection: Music usually helps facilitate this. An old favorite playing on the radio instantly reminds you of a treasured memory.Certain lyrics of songs can cause you to think and even sing along. If you are like me, you find yourself latching onto certain phrases from the lyrics. Songs, new and even nearly as old as I am, have a new meaning. I feel like sometimes lyrics can help me clarify how I might be feeling about something personally or professionally.
Conversation: Long car rides require conversations. No one can just leave the conversation. When my family and I travel, we laugh a lot in the car. On a recent car ride, I used the time to talk "out loud" about some personal goals that I have.
Observation: I am rarely asked to drive so I end up in the passenger's seat. As we drive through neighborhoods, I like catching glimpses of others. I try to wonder what they're doing and thinking. I assume we face some similar struggles and some very different struggles. Yesterday, at an intersection in Stamford, CT., my gaze caught the eye of another mother. We both smiled in support of each other to each other. I was struck by how she seemed to have it altogether and certainly looked happier than I was likely showing. That quick anonymous interaction made me more aware of my mindset. I quickly let go of some worry I was letting occupy my mind at that time.
As we traveled closer to home, I became increasingly aware that this escape from all other distractions and responsibilities would soon be ending. Yet, in some way, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. Some time away on a long car ride can give that (back) to you.
----
So Small, Carrie Underwood
A phrase I OFTEN say (and live) is "focus on the journey and not the destination!" Kudos to you for doing just that!
ReplyDeleteI love how you shared your personal goals with your family. You're modeling many positive qualities for your kids.
Sometimes we have to find pockets of time to renew ourselves, and it seems like you take advantage of that. Even a car ride to work or home can be a time of refuge; it all depends on our mindset.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Jennifer
Jennifer, Thank you so much for reading. I agree. It's about the journey. That is a much better way to put it.
Delete