A couple of years back, I had heard the saying "Eat the Frog" but did not pay it much attention until this year. Eat The Frog is about facing the toughest parts of your day first. Some of my past habits included that massive to do list with the least desirable items usually being attempted last instead of first.
As a leader, how I use my time each day is critical. One choice is to avoid the tougher conversations and possible conflict and work around them. A different choice is to have the difficult conversations, consider another viewpoint, give honest feedback and develop a plan to move on. Over the last month, I have had to eat the frog at least 6 times. Some of the conversations involved parents. Some involved teachers. Some even involved friends and family.
After these difficult interactions, I have usually felt some sense of relief and deeper understanding of some complex issues. In that moment, I chastise myself for not just eating the frog already! The remedies for some of the "frogs" aren't found any quicker. However, it's a more open, transparent process. I've learned from the conversations. I've also articulated my vision in some of the conversations. It likely would have been easier to avoid the frogs. I am emotionally drained (like everyone) this time of year. But, the payoff moving forward, I think, will be worth this time up front.
We tell kids to "tell the truth" and you can't go wrong. Could the same be true for us as adults? As learners? The more I practice reflective leadership, I hope I am able to allow others to articulate their own truths about our work and ultimately provide solutions that are best for students. I learn the most from conversations and dialogues. Perhaps making more time for that and less for to-do lists is a step in the right direction.
Comments
Post a Comment