In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week (this week!), I wanted to put into print some thoughts about some of my favorite teachers. I'll edit this post each day of the week to add another favorite of mine.
Elementary School
My third grade teacher, Miss Fisher, taught at Roberts Elementary School in Penn Hills, PA. I remember the sound of her footsteps in the hall. She didn't make fun of me the day I wore a pair of high heels to third grade either. My feet sounded like teacher feet ! I also remember feeling like the smartest kid in the world when she would let me stay in from recess to "help" correct papers.
My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Glasstetter (also Roberts Elementary School), must have known on some level I was dealing with some things outside of school. She went out of her way to make me feel special. I remember reading poems with her. At the time, I didn't realize the hidden messages of perseverance and faith she was sending me.
To think that I am 44 years old today and still remembering both of these women with such admiration. This is the kind of impact we hope to make on the students we work with.
High School
My 9th grade English teacher was Mr. Murin. He used to assign vocabulary lists each week. We had to take those lists and put them into a story of some type. He would pick the essay he thought was the best for the week and one week he picked mine. I don't remember many accolades in high school. This is one of the few. I even remember the essay had something to do with an old man and children racing over a viaduct. (I haven't used the word since but I can still recall its meaning.) He made me feel like I could write. Having that essay chosen made me more confident in my writing moving forward. Such a small gesture on his part and he likely would not have predicted my remembering it all these years later.
Think of a teacher that made an impact in your life. Who was it? What from their efforts can you apply to your own practice?
Guest post from Valerie Klaiber, Health Teacher at Corinth Middle School
Elementary School
My third grade teacher, Miss Fisher, taught at Roberts Elementary School in Penn Hills, PA. I remember the sound of her footsteps in the hall. She didn't make fun of me the day I wore a pair of high heels to third grade either. My feet sounded like teacher feet ! I also remember feeling like the smartest kid in the world when she would let me stay in from recess to "help" correct papers.
My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Glasstetter (also Roberts Elementary School), must have known on some level I was dealing with some things outside of school. She went out of her way to make me feel special. I remember reading poems with her. At the time, I didn't realize the hidden messages of perseverance and faith she was sending me.
To think that I am 44 years old today and still remembering both of these women with such admiration. This is the kind of impact we hope to make on the students we work with.
High School
My 9th grade English teacher was Mr. Murin. He used to assign vocabulary lists each week. We had to take those lists and put them into a story of some type. He would pick the essay he thought was the best for the week and one week he picked mine. I don't remember many accolades in high school. This is one of the few. I even remember the essay had something to do with an old man and children racing over a viaduct. (I haven't used the word since but I can still recall its meaning.) He made me feel like I could write. Having that essay chosen made me more confident in my writing moving forward. Such a small gesture on his part and he likely would not have predicted my remembering it all these years later.
Think of a teacher that made an impact in your life. Who was it? What from their efforts can you apply to your own practice?
Guest post from Valerie Klaiber, Health Teacher at Corinth Middle School
My favorite teacher of
all time was my 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Tregor. You see, I was a very
energetic, chatty, lively, slight pain in the butt, not sit in
my seat type of child. My Mother still says to this day I learned
how to run before walk. I do not so much remember what Mrs.Tregor did but
how she made me feel. I remember her always being very patient with
me & making me feel special. Where other teachers would get frustrated
with me and sometimes yell, she would not. I remember her always
being aware & coming up to me when I was about to bust out of my skin
from sitting for so long & she would put her hand on my shoulder &
reassure me that I was doing a good job & soon, we would be finished.
I also broke my wrist that year on the monkey bars & I rememeber her
having the class make me cards & calling my house to see how I was. I
also rememeber missing her when I was out. She was an old school type of
teacher. I remember she wore a wig & every year the last week
of school, she would let her long hair down & she was the
talk of the school. Now, being a teacher I wonder where Mrs. Tregor
is & if she realizes the impact she had on my life & how much when I
teach my students I think of her & how patient she was with
me. Thank you Mrs. Tregor for making such an impact & being such
a positive influence in my life.
Mr. Brown made me the teacher I am today--he was my high school social studies teacher, and continued to mentor me to this day, "Take a geography class." "Do this.""Expect that..."
ReplyDeleteI am finishing up my opus (yes, everyone must write a book). There's an entire chapter on people who shaped me. I love to think about this with gratitude... Thanks for this post:)
That is an incredible idea. What a blessing to be supported by so many great teachers. Thank you for reading! (ooh and writing -- looking forward to reading that).
DeleteWhat a nice way to start my day! Thank you for sharing these moments. I don't always think teachers realize the positive impact they have until later.
ReplyDeleteJon, thank you so much for reading.
Delete