Last night, I had the fortunate opportunity to sit in on a panel for Dr. Harry Brooks, an incredibly well respected SUNY Plattsburgh instructor in their leadership program. Part of the panel activity included a conversation about becoming a leader and staying a leader in school. While each member of the panel was sharing personal stories and honest advice, I found myself taking it all in as if I was back on the other (student) side of the panel. Some of the major thoughts and advice included:
1) Have conviction. One Superintendent spoke about having conviction in our work. He took time to make the distinction between conviction and arrogance. I really appreciated his thoughts about conviction and realized how important that really is. Are we doing what's best for kids on a daily basis? Do my actions match my convictions?
2) Be brave. Another Superintendent talked about some of the reality of our jobs. If you get knocked down, get right back up. Dust yourself off and get back in there. I've written about how much I believe that to be true. Be brave and be there.
3) Have a plan. If you're going to ask a group of teachers or even a Board of Education to support you on an initiative, you'll need a full, well thought out plan. There is no winging it in schools (or there shouldn't be). You also can't delegate school improvement. This work is deliberate. It has to be. Kids are waiting for us to give them their best school experience. Have a plan and stick to it. Admit when it might need adjustment but move forward with a plan.
4) Listen. Listen. Listen.There's a myth that administrators wake up with all the answers inside them. That's not true. We may have ideas but the real solutions can be found among the input gathered from others and the synergy open and honest conversation bring.
5) Be an instructional leader. There are many tasks that can consume a leader's time. Schools are about instruction and relationships so a majority of our time must be spent on cultivating those areas. Be in classrooms. Attend PD with teachers. Connect with students all day long.
It was a neat experience to be there and listen to the aspiring administrators. It reminded me of a time, not so very long ago, when I had hoped to make the leap from teaching to administration. It was a brave move then and it will be big move for them now. Yet, most risks are worth taking.
I could never have predicted back in 2003 that my administrative journey would have taken me as far as it has. I am incredibly grateful to be the lead learner of Corinth Middle School. I am surrounded by people that are in it for the right reasons. We have conviction. We are brave. We have a plan and adjust it at times. We listen to each other and we are working tirelessly to enhance instruction in our school.
When I took that leap, I had no idea the landing would be this good.
1) Have conviction. One Superintendent spoke about having conviction in our work. He took time to make the distinction between conviction and arrogance. I really appreciated his thoughts about conviction and realized how important that really is. Are we doing what's best for kids on a daily basis? Do my actions match my convictions?
2) Be brave. Another Superintendent talked about some of the reality of our jobs. If you get knocked down, get right back up. Dust yourself off and get back in there. I've written about how much I believe that to be true. Be brave and be there.
3) Have a plan. If you're going to ask a group of teachers or even a Board of Education to support you on an initiative, you'll need a full, well thought out plan. There is no winging it in schools (or there shouldn't be). You also can't delegate school improvement. This work is deliberate. It has to be. Kids are waiting for us to give them their best school experience. Have a plan and stick to it. Admit when it might need adjustment but move forward with a plan.
4) Listen. Listen. Listen.There's a myth that administrators wake up with all the answers inside them. That's not true. We may have ideas but the real solutions can be found among the input gathered from others and the synergy open and honest conversation bring.
5) Be an instructional leader. There are many tasks that can consume a leader's time. Schools are about instruction and relationships so a majority of our time must be spent on cultivating those areas. Be in classrooms. Attend PD with teachers. Connect with students all day long.
It was a neat experience to be there and listen to the aspiring administrators. It reminded me of a time, not so very long ago, when I had hoped to make the leap from teaching to administration. It was a brave move then and it will be big move for them now. Yet, most risks are worth taking.
I could never have predicted back in 2003 that my administrative journey would have taken me as far as it has. I am incredibly grateful to be the lead learner of Corinth Middle School. I am surrounded by people that are in it for the right reasons. We have conviction. We are brave. We have a plan and adjust it at times. We listen to each other and we are working tirelessly to enhance instruction in our school.
When I took that leap, I had no idea the landing would be this good.
Comments
Post a Comment