Skip to main content

Who's In #5

I have "met" some pretty amazing people through twitter. One of them is Jon Harper. He has, once again, challenged his PLN to take notice of the small moments within a day that cause big impact. The challenge is to find one thing a day to note.

I will use this post to add a moment a day for the next 4 days.


TUESDAY'S MOMENT

Yesterday was a return to school for my middle school. We had just finished a Spring Break that lasted until this past Monday. Sometimes it is hard to get back into the groove of our work. Sometimes it is not. Yesterday seemed like one of the days where it was not.

I had some time to talk to students who had been asking to see me. That always reminds me why I think being a principal is an incredible job. There was one young man who earlier in the day, in the hall, told me he had to talk to me. This young man was worried about his friend whom he had seen drinking an energy drink before school. We researched the ingredients in the drink and even stopped by the Health teacher's class (sometimes my kids like it when I consult the experts) to ask a few questions about the ingredients. There were some 8th grade students there who were willing to take a two minute break and help answer some questions I had (for modeling purposes) about energy drinks and why some kids would drink them. The 8th grade students were able to explain (much of what I was trying to explain) to the 6th grade student but did it far better than I could have. By the end of the short visit to Health Class, the 6th grade student, I think, felt armed with answers.

As he walked away from my office, another young man walked in. "Hey, Mrs. Meade, do you have a minute? Remember you said I could talk to you about something?".

"You bet I do. I'll be right with you."

WEDNESDAY'S MOMENT

There are days, like in all professions, that go better than others. I am usually pretty good about reminding myself that bad days come to remind you what good days really feel like. In venting to some of the amazing PLN members I have, I realized our struggles are the same.

We cry, we fall, we get back up.

When I first began administration, one of the earliest lessons I realized is that sometimes our bravest moments occur when we head right back into work the next day. The work will not always be easy. Sure, it would be easy to stay down and continue to list the defeating forces we are facing. We could keep rehearsing the negative self-talk that creeps in at times.

But, we're better than that. Aren't we, PLN?

Here's to a better tomorrow and knowing we are never alone.

THURSDAY'S MOMENT

One of today's highlights was trying to arrange my son's upcoming birthday party. Sam will turn 12 soon and has decided, at the very last minute, that he would like a birthday party. We have alternated parties one year and big presents on alternating years. As Sam has gotten older, we have allowed him to choose whether this is a party year or a big present year. Yesterday, he decided it was a party year. In the recent past, Sam has usually chosen big present year and has shied away from all the social pressure hosting a party can bring.  My son is not your typical or traditional boy. He would rather have pink balloons instead of blue ones. He would rather sit, talk and draw with his friends instead of tossing a football or playing catch.

After much discussion of possible options, he chose the location for the party. I had promised him last night I would call the venue today to see what they had available. Unfortunately, I did not get to making the call as promised. When I walked through the door this evening, Sam followed up with me asking if I had contacted the place. I felt embarrassed that I had not. I asked him if we could call together immediately. A part of me worried the venue would already be booked (his birthday is two weeks away and we were calling on very short notice.). I placed the call and hoped for the best.

As luck would turn out, they had the date and time I needed available!  Sam listened to me talk to the vendor and smiled as I confirmed the details.  We then spent the next hour designing his invitations and printing them together.

None of this had anything to do with my role as a school administrator. This moment was all about being a Mom and getting wrapped up in the excitement a birthday is supposed to bring.

Happy Almost Birthday to one of the neatest kids I know. :)




FRIDAY'S MOMENT

Guest post by Valerie Klaiber, MS Health Teacher


My co-worker, great friend, next door neighbor, confidant came back from spring break with a virus called Bell's Palsy.  It is where half of your face goes numb, almost looking like a stroke victim.  She is a beautiful person inside  and out.  Her roles in life are endless.  To name a few, she is a middle school teacher, coach, mother, and wife.  The support the student body has showed her this week is nothing less then beautiful.  To watch the students show such care, concern, and empathy is wonderful.  It makes me so proud to work in a place where when things are less then ideal we, as a school community, come out strong, supportive and unified.         

Comments

  1. I love this! The last quote is why you are awesome! Maybe we can get some others to jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, thanks for this idea. I will edit each day. Will be good to have to find the moments! I'm not awesome, by the way. My team and kids sure are though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa....here's hoping tomorrow is better than the way I'm feeling right now! Thank you for putting words to our feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie, thank you so much for reading. Perhaps more importantly, thank you for always being there for me. Let's get right back in that ring tomorrow, together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids like Sam make us all better people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. He sure is here to teach me lessons. Just need to listen for them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

Shelf Life

I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position. "How long have you been there?" "Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district." "You do realize you've overstayed your welcome." "What?!" "Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that." That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent bo...

Gram

I am a member of the #compelledtribe. We are a blogging group that supports each other and writes in response to posted topics every so often. This week's topic is: Share a story about someone who loved you when you didn't expect it, earn it, or either deserve it. One of my biggest regrets in life is that my grandmother may not have fully known the impact she has had on me. I had the privilege of living next door to her for nearly 5 years. There were rituals she made me do with her. We watched ice skating every Sunday. We watched Wheel of Fortune most nights. On weekends, she sent me around town to different stores, by foot, with a shopping list for deals at each of them (based on the flyers). I had an odd fashion sense then and she was never afraid to tell me if I looked awful. My gram was the lady with the lavender sweater, lavender slacks, and lavender pumps. She matched. I sported a more Boy George inspired look that she never really understood or appreciated.  G...