Skip to main content

That three letter "word"

If there were three letter words in schools, DDI might be considered one of them. Data Driven Instruction is a complex process. In NY, DDI was one of the deliverables (according to EngageNY) from last year. I attended some training on it and certainly did some reading on it (Leverage Leadership, Driven by Data to be exact -- both by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo). DDI can be seen as a "hot topic" or bad word at times because it is difficult to implement immediately and without a plan. I was a brand new principal last year (not new to administration but new to the building level) and was focusing more energy on APPR and CCLS than I could on DDI. I probably should not admit that in print but would be foolish to pretend otherwise.

This year has been different. I have had the privilege of working with some nearby colleagues on a shared project around DDI. It has been helpful to hear and read their stories of implementing DDI. Last week, we met via Google Drive/GHO to sketch out our upcoming presentation. We have to present the DDI projects from each of our schools. Their ideas help me refine the ideas I have about the process in my own school. Each of our projects looks very different -- as they should.

In my school, we are trying to meet regularly. We have an assessment calendar we are using for STAR testing in ELA and Math. We have an amazing TA that has accepted responsibility for running and creating the STAR reports we need for the meetings. She is our in house expert! Those results are reviewed by teams and our AIS department. We use some of that information to monitor how students are doing in classes. Teachers provide the additional, critical information (attendance, behavior, academic) they have on these students. (We are clear no one piece of data can give the whole picture on any student ---or anyone for that matter.) We are also charting our data trying to keep track of it on a whole group level. We have used that data to set building and grade level goals. Our next step will be to consistently select common instructional strategies to be used across the grade level. We have done this sporadically this year but could take the next step to tie an actual result indicator to it. We still have some work to do with DDI implementation in my school. Like most other initiatives, we are dealing with it in bite sized, meaningful pieces.

If you have successfully implemented DDI in your school, I'd love to hear from you. The best ideas come from each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

Shelf Life

I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position. "How long have you been there?" "Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district." "You do realize you've overstayed your welcome." "What?!" "Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that." That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent bo...

Gram

I am a member of the #compelledtribe. We are a blogging group that supports each other and writes in response to posted topics every so often. This week's topic is: Share a story about someone who loved you when you didn't expect it, earn it, or either deserve it. One of my biggest regrets in life is that my grandmother may not have fully known the impact she has had on me. I had the privilege of living next door to her for nearly 5 years. There were rituals she made me do with her. We watched ice skating every Sunday. We watched Wheel of Fortune most nights. On weekends, she sent me around town to different stores, by foot, with a shopping list for deals at each of them (based on the flyers). I had an odd fashion sense then and she was never afraid to tell me if I looked awful. My gram was the lady with the lavender sweater, lavender slacks, and lavender pumps. She matched. I sported a more Boy George inspired look that she never really understood or appreciated.  G...