Skip to main content

An Opportunity

I am blessed to work in an incredible middle school full of faculty and staff willing to work hard and stretch their thinking. I am fortunate to be part of a culture that supports each other and can (usually) consider new ideas and approaches. I am also, well aware, that I probably drive some of my teachers crazy. Never mind the probably. It is most certainly true that I drive some of my teachers crazy! What I think these same teachers don't realize is, I drive myself crazy too. I take our jobs as educators very seriously. We work with other people's children and have this one chance to make our students feel heard and supported. Working in a middle school requires outside of the box thinking. Factory model schooling does not fit the middle schooler.

Our third marking period ended recently. In reviewing the failures, like we always do, I noticed over 12% of students were failing ELA for the third marking period. Some had not made it the marking period before either. The teachers and I met to strategize how to remedy this.

As a faculty, we were recently discussing some of the work by Rick Wormeli. (You can read more about that here.) He reminded us that grades were not to be used as rewards or validation. Grades are supposed to be an accurate representation of what the students can do.When we allow students to under earn grades, we are sending the message that what we assigned was not that important.

The two teachers agreed to giving the "failing" students INC for the time being. We decided to rearrange the afternoon schedule to allow students who owed substantial work time to catch up. I recruited any available teachers or teaching assistants to assist me in tutoring students in ELA. The teachers prepared the work that was owed and we set the date for this to happen: Friday afternoon right before the start of Spring Break. (In many ways, the most perfect time for this work. If you teach middle school, you'll understand.)

As the grade level looked beyond ELA, they discovered students in other classes needed time to catch up on missing assignments in their classes too! This is something the grade level has done before. So while they may have thought the idea was a form of meddling and top down decision making at first, they were familiar with the benefit of catching kids up before and had done so prior to today. Students were in Social Studies catching up on a technology project while other students were in ELA catching up on a recent assignment. One of the ELA teachers and I were in a third room with the students who had (almost) failed marking period three. As we started with the students, I was secretly relieved he was there. Even I needed reassurance we were on the right track for the work owed to the ELA teacher. (Imagine what the student with the failing grade was feeling.)

Each student had a project sheet back from the teacher that outlined the assignments and points earned so far. That sheet was helpful. We could tell what was owed immediately. We broke the students up into two groups to get started on like assignments and facilitated the work. Shortly after, another teacher showed up to help and we assigned her two students that needed to work on final drafts. That was a big help. We had three groups working on three different assignments and we were making progress.

Shortly into our work session, the students began to relax and accept help.  I am pretty sure they did not understand why we were making them complete the work. The marking period was over. Why did it matter? Why couldn't they take the failing grade instead of the INC that was appearing on their report card? But, we marched forward, kept them on task, and discussed the work and questions. I realized during the work session, as we asked questions and questions, these students knew the answers. For some, it even came quickly to them. We kept validating their work and they kept working.

Ten out of the thirteen students were able to catch up on their ELA work in this afternoon session. Two felt like they had a good handle on the work and committed to finishing over the break. One admitted he needed more time and would be willing to work again with me at recess when we returned from break.

At the end of the day, during dismissal, one of the boys whom I assisted (merely by prompting him to keep up the good work) sought me out to give me a high five. This same young man rarely said hello to me before today. After dismissal, I began to reflect on the day and realized the team showed  flexibility in their thinking and I needed them to know I appreciated that. I sent the following email:

I wanted to take a minute and thank you for your help today. I am well aware (more than you probably realize…) that my idea (to grant temporary incompletes) for today was way out of the box. But, upon reviewing the grades, especially in ELA,  I was struck by how many of our students were unable to show proficiency this marking period. The easy way out would have been for us to give them the grade they had at that time and then just move on. But in talking with (teacher names), they told me the work was more important than the actual grade. These were skills they needed the students to demonstrate.

With that in mind, we decided to hold the kids to completing and doing the work. As of this writing, I am still in the office, processing the day and was thinking out loud with a friend about all of it. He helped me see that what we provided the kids with today was an opportunity. Today was an opportunity to demonstrate competency, stick with-it-ness, and accountability. It would have been easier to give the students failing grades and start the new marking period.

But, that’s not what you did. What I saw were children engaged in ELA. These young men and women knew the story and could definitely complete most of the work assigned. Today was an opportunity to show them the work you assign matters and  that they will be held accountable to do it.

Days like today should be reminders to us about why we went into education in the first place. You don’t remember the number grades your teachers gave you. You remember how they made you feel. You remember if they believed in you.

Let today be our reminder to always do what’s best for kids….even when it requires more hands on deck than we are used to asking for.


Working with our students reminded me why I became a principal. We have a real opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students.



Comments

  1. Yes, Lisa, days like your today day, are special. They validate the reasons why we entered the profession. Enjoy more of these type of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for everything you did for the 7th grade team today. I agree that days like this help us remember why we are teachers and that they are children and sometimes we need to think outside the box and change the daily routine. They were all smiling as they left. I'm not sure if it was the day, or the day before vacation that made them smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, so glad you commented. I know your behind the scenes work helped today too.

      Delete
  3. Carol, you are spot on. Thank you for reading and commenting. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa Meade and faculty rock! This is what it's all about..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, thank you so much for your help always. You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! Great idea! What a team effort! What a school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drew, would never have been done without your help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great piece Lisa! You describe a commitment on the part of your staff to NOT let kids fail... that's what it's all about right? Love how you jumped in there with staff to work with struggling kids. Great leadership. Thanks for sharing. All the best, Don

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don, yes..I am fortunate (very!!!) to have such a great team. I really appreciate your taking the time to read and comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

Shelf Life

I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position. "How long have you been there?" "Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district." "You do realize you've overstayed your welcome." "What?!" "Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that." That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent bo...

Gram

I am a member of the #compelledtribe. We are a blogging group that supports each other and writes in response to posted topics every so often. This week's topic is: Share a story about someone who loved you when you didn't expect it, earn it, or either deserve it. One of my biggest regrets in life is that my grandmother may not have fully known the impact she has had on me. I had the privilege of living next door to her for nearly 5 years. There were rituals she made me do with her. We watched ice skating every Sunday. We watched Wheel of Fortune most nights. On weekends, she sent me around town to different stores, by foot, with a shopping list for deals at each of them (based on the flyers). I had an odd fashion sense then and she was never afraid to tell me if I looked awful. My gram was the lady with the lavender sweater, lavender slacks, and lavender pumps. She matched. I sported a more Boy George inspired look that she never really understood or appreciated.  G...