Skip to main content

Two Days of Takeaways

When I first saw the conference flyer for a Digital Leadership conference for March 30th and 31st, my first thought was no way I can be out of district right before STATE TESTS. No way. I have to be in school. I have to "get through the next month".What would I possibly learn in a two day conference with 80% of the school year nearly over?

The answer? Plenty...

Here are some of my major takeaways:

The story of my school is up to me. Tony Sinanis challenged us to think critically about our schools and what they are really saying. Is what you promise the community really happening? Do your messages reflect that? In the end, it's not about my position. It's about what I do in that position. What actions am I taking to best support my school and students for our "messy world" (as Tony puts it)? 

I take a lot of flack from some other administrators about twitter and the power of it. PD is not something that happens TO you. It's something that happens inside you. Eric Sheninger spoke so powerfully about this and the impact of the PLN.  I can tell you, without a doubt, I would not be half the principal I am today without my PLN. They are my go to source for support, venting, ideas, and inspiration. THEY make me look good (just like Eric said). [Yes, opened door for picking on by selected members of my PLN, you know who you are. ;) ]. 

During the keynote, Tony took some kind hearted hits about a blog post detailing his actual car ride to the conference with Eric. It's a great post that speaks to the power of the relationships built in a PLN. Last night, members of "my" PLN met for dinner. This was the first face to face meeting for most of us. But, you would not have known that. In fact, we are quite certain the unlucky couple that ended up at the same hibachi table we did, wished we hadn't connected so well. 

And that's the biggest takeaway--the power of connections. I can't believe where my PLN has taken me in just under 18 months. They are real people facing the same challenges in leadership and schools that I am. Without a PLN, I would not have known that sense of connectedness. I am sincerely grateful that they make time for me online and face to face when we have the chance to meet. 

I'm the lucky one -- and all for the better knowing them. 

Comments

  1. And just think, who got you on twitter?? Huh? Great post and all true Lisa! You are the best! Vic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all YOUR fault!!! Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great summary of today. Both are important take-aways.
    The PD piece got me thinking: Could I use GoogleForms to anonymously gather the info Eric talked about today to help plan PD/faculty meetings? What are perceived strengths vs what are areas of needed PD? I see potential here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for comment. I too left thinking of possibilities and potential. A refreshing two days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...