I am apparently taking the challenge from Jon Harper to heart. It's Friday afternoon and I should be winding down for the weekend start but instead am reflecting on a very meaningful 25 minutes of my day. Today was day one of our new "Principal's Book Club". We advertised starting a book club that would meet during recess and after school on alternate weeks. We are reading the book, Wonder. It was recommended to me by friends. I wanted to find a way to connect with more students on an individual level and thought the idea of a book club could serve multiple purposes. I soon realized, after reading the entire book, Wonder, on a Saturday afternoon, that this book could help me reinforce our building's message of kindness.
Today was day one of our book club. We met in our Student Lounge (which I really need to write about some day...really cool place). About 14 students and 4 staff joined me in reading and discussing our first group of assigned pages. It was amazing to hear their opinions on the book and the connections they had already made with the text. Our school's art teacher joined the ELA teacher, my secretary and a teaching assistant in the talk. I thought I would have to facilitate the whole event but it turned into an active conversation between all of us.
We meet again in 4 days after school. I can't wait!
Today was day one of our book club. We met in our Student Lounge (which I really need to write about some day...really cool place). About 14 students and 4 staff joined me in reading and discussing our first group of assigned pages. It was amazing to hear their opinions on the book and the connections they had already made with the text. Our school's art teacher joined the ELA teacher, my secretary and a teaching assistant in the talk. I thought I would have to facilitate the whole event but it turned into an active conversation between all of us.
We meet again in 4 days after school. I can't wait!
Comments
Post a Comment