Earlier this month, I was presented with an amazing opportunity by the School Administrators Association of New York State (SAANYS). They were assembling a group of principals, representing many areas of New York State to meet and have dinner with the Board of Regents in Albany. The guests included Commissioner King, Chancellor Tisch, and Deputy Commissioner Ken Slentz.
I think the intent of the meeting a positive one. I appreciated the chance to hear from other principals many of the same concerns I have:
I think the intent of the meeting a positive one. I appreciated the chance to hear from other principals many of the same concerns I have:
- The Common Core transition has been bumpy. We understand the modules are intended to be adapted and not necessarily adopted. I was relieved to discover my ELA and Math teachers were much like other teachers in NYS struggling with the volume and pace of the modules. There is a sense of empathy that comes from knowing your struggles are not yours alone. Commissioner King recognized that sympathetically and reminded us that this implementation will be a process.
- The best part about APPR has been the conversations with teachers. Frequent and timely feedback matters. What we continue to struggle with is the volume of paperwork associated with the tasks. The pace administrators are expected to maintain is staggering.
Unfortunately, part of the dinner became more about what SED was doing and less about us sharing out our opinions. In hindsight, I feel as though I let my building down by not standing up and sharing more in a yelling from the rooftops kind of way.
The theme I heard throughout the brave comments that were able to be echoed by principals was: too fast, too much, and too soon. Yet, I also understand SED's urgency to not "graduate" one more student who is not college and career ready. But, the part that NYSED (actually everyone!) has to focus on is balance.
How do we best move forward, learn from the mistakes made with last year's roll out, and move on with precision and dedication to the task? How do we celebrate the successes that did occur last year?
How do we best move forward, learn from the mistakes made with last year's roll out, and move on with precision and dedication to the task? How do we celebrate the successes that did occur last year?
My thoughts here match the information SAANYS has shared on our behalf with the Board of Regents. I am proud of the work they are doing on behalf of administrators across NYS. It's nice to know you are not alone. The dinner opportunity reminded me of this as well.
I think if we really care about school, district, or program improvement, we will need more opportunities, like this one, to share, unscripted, with each other. And if we are really listening to each other, it should be with the goal of understanding. "Most people do not listen with intent to understand. They listen with intent to reply."-- Stephen Covey.
Real listening makes a real difference.
I think if we really care about school, district, or program improvement, we will need more opportunities, like this one, to share, unscripted, with each other. And if we are really listening to each other, it should be with the goal of understanding. "Most people do not listen with intent to understand. They listen with intent to reply."-- Stephen Covey.
Real listening makes a real difference.
Comments
Post a Comment