7-30-13
There is something about conducting interviews for a new teacher that inspires me. We recently held interviews for a new special education program we are developing at the elementary. Maybe it is the newness, the energy, or the combination of different ideas. At the core, I think it is the possibility the teacher brings to help our students. It is easy to become distracted by everything we juggle (Common Core, APPR, Project Based Learning, etc.). But, before we can tackle any of the “content” or initiatives, we have to connect with the hearts and minds of our students.
@DCulberhouse recently wrote about this idea in his blog, In that post, he talks about “inside out” and “wrong side up” leadership. I am one of those inside out leaders, at times.
Preparing or chairing a CSE meeting, I try to put myself in the shoes of the parent. How would this meeting make me feel? Have we treated her/his child as I would want my child treated? Do we have a good plan that meets the student's needs?
One of the things I was most embarrassed about was my end of the year faculty meeting last June. As a new principal, I can tell you that this building WORKED! They bent, stretched and created new thinking and practices. As I was wrapping up and congratulating them on a job well done, my voice cracked. At that instant, my head was telling my throat to STOP but my heart wasn’t hearing any of it. My voice cracked again, lip quivered, and I cried. Just a little. It wasn’t a sad cry. It was a cry of appreciation. Much like I want them to be proud of our students, I was of them. I still am. Their commitment fuels me.
I think that’s what makes getting ready for this coming year so exciting!
|
Comments
Post a Comment