Nearly two months ago, I wrote about some of the struggle I was facing as a Principal trying to do the right work during this pandemic. It seems only fitting that I am trying to find time today to put into print a post with an opposite message. While so much of our work in school continues to be difficult, so much of it still finds a way to be right and good.
About a year ago, our supportive Board of Education and Superintendent decided that we would use a part of our monthly meetings to spotlight a staff member and student from each building. Choices are left up to the Principal of each building and I've always thought deeply before bringing a name forward. It's a remarkable few minutes each month as it helps remind all of us to stay true to our purpose! For student recommendations, I often collect nominations from my teachers. But, for the month of November, I chose the student.
On our first day of school this year, when a particular student arrived to school to borrow a hotspot for the remote weeks ahead, I made note in my mind that I needed to remember a way to honor his story. This student is a remarkable young man and has been driven to complete his goal of graduation. His story is not the traditional high school senior story we often hear. A few years ago, he made the difficult choice to drop out of school but returned to us just last year with a resolve to graduate as soon as possible. We mapped out a plan that included his junior year, summer school and now a senior year schedule. When he needed encouragement to stay on track, we tried to provide it. His school counselor and I monitored his grades and attendance with vigilance and with every chance we had, we'd remind him how much we believed in him. His teachers took wonderful care of him and provided a safe place for learning and recovery of his plan to graduate. Perhaps most importantly, he worked hard and showed resolve beyond his years to meeting his goals.
Earlier this week, he openly shared his story with our Board of Education. I recall remarking at this meeting, with over 28 years experience in education, one of my only hopes is to be able to make an impact on students. But, in his case, he has made an impact on me. He reminds me that every student has a story that needs to be heard. He reminds me that students need and deserve second chances. He gives me hope that a student who may have dropped out can return and find success if we help them find a path. He reminds me that our students all face different struggles and hurdles; sometimes ones we can't imagine or would wish on no one. He reminds me of the privilege we have in serving and helping our students.
As he spoke at our meeting, I listened to the only thing to be heard in the meeting space -- his voice. When they say you could have heard a pin drop, it perfectly describes how quiet we all were. We listened to each and every word. We watched with our eyes and listened with our hearts.
And then, in a pause that felt a bit frozen, he ended his story. At that very moment, a Board of Education member stood and joined in the applause that had just started. Within seconds, the entire meeting space had everyone in attendance -- standing and clapping. I whispered to the student to let him know that this ovation was all for him.
It was over in a matter of minutes but the story and reminder from the meeting will likely be with those in attendance for long afterward. Stories of students are here to remind us all of our why and that what we are doing, no matter what it looks like (hybrid or no hybrid), matters.
Each and every story, each and every student.
Just asking us to take the time to listen.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ―
Comments
Post a Comment