Skip to main content

Are You Happy?

I was recently asked this question in relation to my new role as Principal (in a new-to-me district). I quickly rattled off some of the tougher items I've been working on over the last week or two but that punch list didn't really answer the question. I caught myself in reply and thought about the question again.

I have lists upon lists and still miss a deadline or email. I still get angry phone calls once in awhile and I overlook replying to important emails every now and then. I make mistakes every day. I sometimes let opportunities pass by to remind my colleagues how much I appreciate their work.  I deal with hard decisions. My incredibly patient secretary will tell you I've misplaced a folder or two. I haven't even launched everything I had hoped I would have completed by now. I still have so many names and stories of students to learn. I am exhausted, at times overwhelmed, not sleeping all that great, and behind on teacher observation paperwork. And yes, on a couple of occasions I've driven home near tears replaying particular situations.

But, I'm still happy.

I am part of a building team that, for the most part, is on the same bus. If someone on the team needs something, someone else on the team helps out. It's almost without a beat. This team helps students, forgives students, and brainstorms solutions. We do the same for each other as adult colleagues. We can laugh with each other but we can also respectfully push back if we don't.  If I ask for volunteers for a project, they arrive. Honestly, more than I even anticipate might arrive.

Imagine that feeling.

I think they call it happiness.







Comments

  1. Hello,

    Reading your post provides me with inspiration. I am looking to move into a leadership role such as an assistant principal and I am so concerned about being able to be perfect, although I know one cannot be perfect. I am afraid to make mistakes, concerned about not being well prepared for the position, and just not measuring up to those that came before me and were successful. Your experience gives me hope and helps me to understand that we are only human and we have to take handling our responsibilities day by day. Also, I see its okay to make a mistake, forget to respond to an email or not feel successful in being able to make everyone happy. As a leader, we can only do what the 8-10 hour day allows and shift uncompleted tasks to the agenda for the next day. It's all about knowing where you may fall short, making adjustments and a plan to eventually accomplish all you set out to do.


    One great way to do achieve your expected goals is to elicit the assistance of others around you who can provide support in specific areas. Although you are the main administrator/leader of the school, having a team of educators you can call on for assistance in completing and checking off your to-do-list of items releases you from carrying the entire load and continuing to fall behind. This can also be a way of developing a group of teachers into school leaders and maybe they may develop a desire to become school administrators themselves. Distributing leadership builds leaders, morale, and a stronger educational environment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this candid depiction of your journey as a principal. I like the line, "But I'm still happy" because it implies that, even with all the work, responsibility and deadlines missed, you are still enjoying what you do. So important to a happy work life. Good luck! I'm sure it will get easier over time. There's a huge learning curve just as with first year teachers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...