Skip to main content

A True Mentor

He is not going to be happy with me. He'll think I've gone overboard in trying to put thoughts to "paper" about how I feel about all of this.

Just a few short days ago, a mentor to hundreds taught his last SDL admin course. Dr. Brooks taught his last course? That doesn't even seem permissible or plausible.

Mention his name to a group of educators in our region and you'll always find at least one person who has such fondness and memories of learning from him. That's a legacy -- a legacy that walks in the minds, hearts and steps of so many administrators trying to do their very best in the roles they once only imagined having the privilege of serving in.

And when any of us have found ourselves on the losing side of a metaphorical boxing match, he's the first call most of us make.

He tells us to suit back up and get back in there.
He reminds us to be lions.
He steadies our vision and gets it back on track to what's most important -- our students.

I haven't taken an administrative course from him in over 15 years, but he's still my mentor. When I have stories to celebrate, he cheers. And when I have stories that hurt a heart, he listens. He lets me cry when I have to and lets me laugh when I need to. He reminds of my strengths. He's always only a message away --- literally.  At my age, I don't have many teachers I can call out of the blue and ask for help from. But, I do have Dr. Brooks.



Our Deepest Fear


Dr. Harry Brooks believed in so many of us so much that we were left with no choice but to believe in ourselves just as much.  

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure...."

Thank you Dr. Brooks for always helping me become better.

Comments

  1. Dr Brooks’ line when you start the program is, “You're one of us now; this is your network.” I feel pretty strongly about the Ed leaders in our region. I see us as a right knit group. It's a five county-sized version of Cheers. We all know each other's name and, maybes this is influenced by my time with Boces, but we're all looking out for each other too. I'd use that line there too.

    Dr Brooks really has been everyone's professor. For a couple generations of leaders now. It's been 15 years for Lisa? It's been 10 or more for me. And he taught right up till just the other day. That's hundreds of former students, across scores of districts which are educating thousands and thousands of students.

    I just had breakfast with the Dean of the Branch Campus. I mentioned again the power of that leadership program is in the courses taught by current and former Supts/leaders. You get an experience that is, “The textbook is great, but let me tell you how I really handled x.”

    And he'd say, “I'm in your network too. Reach out when you need.” He always had been. Hoping I can live up to at least that small piece of professional practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Brooks is a true mentor. I use to love attending his classes and listening to his vast knowledge and stories.
    I truely appreciate all that Dr. Brooks did for me. Thank you, Dr. Brooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you think you know him and you don't. does anyone? what is on the outside is not always on the inside. motives are not clear. secrets are hidden. he left a trail of destruction in hearts that will change generations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...