Recently, I was able to spend time in a new program we have created for some of our most at-risk high school students. The incredible teacher invited me to sit in on part of a discussion and it was something I looked forward to all day.
As we read through a document projected on the screen, two of the students began to share parts of their stories. Stories so full of tough lessons and experiences, I wondered how they were able to speak so openly about any of it.
I wondered how they learned how to show such raw courage in their sharing.
I wondered what they thought about our efforts and if it all felt genuine to them.
I wondered if it occurred to either of them how inspiring they were.
I wondered if anything we were saying held any fragment of depth comparable to their own words.
I wondered how ridiculous we must sometimes look to them, as adults, when we press on about academic expectations within the school right at the same time they are forging through a dark and unfair world, their real world.
And in all that wondering, I realized the affirmation within. Creating a non-traditional program focused on success, second chances, and student input is exactly what our students needed and deserved.
Nothing less.
As we read through a document projected on the screen, two of the students began to share parts of their stories. Stories so full of tough lessons and experiences, I wondered how they were able to speak so openly about any of it.
I wondered how they learned how to show such raw courage in their sharing.
I wondered what they thought about our efforts and if it all felt genuine to them.
I wondered if it occurred to either of them how inspiring they were.
I wondered if anything we were saying held any fragment of depth comparable to their own words.
I wondered how ridiculous we must sometimes look to them, as adults, when we press on about academic expectations within the school right at the same time they are forging through a dark and unfair world, their real world.
And in all that wondering, I realized the affirmation within. Creating a non-traditional program focused on success, second chances, and student input is exactly what our students needed and deserved.
Nothing less.
"This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove I'm alright song
My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me..."
Fight Song by Rachel Platten
Comments
Post a Comment