When I was a young teacher, I can recall struggling in a particular parent-teacher conference. The parent was pleading with me to understand her point and I feigned giving incredible advice. At the time, I was certain it was good. After all, I was the teacher and was basing the advice on what I learned throughout my short experience that far. It wasn't until many years later, I could fully understand the depth of her concern and the lesson I could learn from her.
When I became a mother, what I knew about teaching and learning gained color. I can remember being home alone from the hospital with my newborn and ab-so-lute-ly scared to death of being alone with him. What if something went wrong? Not doing the right thing at the right time became all that more real to me.
When my son faced obstacles, I learned more about how to help more in different areas. I leaned on professionals for advice but still listened to what "my mom's voice" told me as well. I made some very unpopular decisions for him (unpopular in other's eyes) but knew, in my mom's heart, I had to do what he needed at that time.
I've likely had well over 100 parent conferences with Moms and Dads who only want the very best for their child. When I sit across from the table or side by side with them, I try to put my self, my heart, in their shoes. Any angst they may be showing, I remind myself it is always coming from a place of love. We may not always agree on the discussion point but we can almost always agree on the intent of the conversation.
So, on this Mother's Day, I want to thank all of the mothers that have taught me something and so much about motherhood: my friends, moms of my friends, my grandmother, my own mother, my mother in law, my mom co-workers, and the moms of all of the students I've come to the table or classroom for.
The work of a mother isn't easy. This work, our work, doesn't always move in the direction we want at the pace we want. But, all of it, comes from a place of love. I'm thankful to each and every mother that teaches me that and has enough courage to share parts of their stories and hearts with me. You've helped me in more ways than you'll likely ever know.
"I'm on your side when times get rough" and when times are simply amazing.
Happy Mother's Day.
When I became a mother, what I knew about teaching and learning gained color. I can remember being home alone from the hospital with my newborn and ab-so-lute-ly scared to death of being alone with him. What if something went wrong? Not doing the right thing at the right time became all that more real to me.
When my son faced obstacles, I learned more about how to help more in different areas. I leaned on professionals for advice but still listened to what "my mom's voice" told me as well. I made some very unpopular decisions for him (unpopular in other's eyes) but knew, in my mom's heart, I had to do what he needed at that time.
I've likely had well over 100 parent conferences with Moms and Dads who only want the very best for their child. When I sit across from the table or side by side with them, I try to put my self, my heart, in their shoes. Any angst they may be showing, I remind myself it is always coming from a place of love. We may not always agree on the discussion point but we can almost always agree on the intent of the conversation.
So, on this Mother's Day, I want to thank all of the mothers that have taught me something and so much about motherhood: my friends, moms of my friends, my grandmother, my own mother, my mother in law, my mom co-workers, and the moms of all of the students I've come to the table or classroom for.
The work of a mother isn't easy. This work, our work, doesn't always move in the direction we want at the pace we want. But, all of it, comes from a place of love. I'm thankful to each and every mother that teaches me that and has enough courage to share parts of their stories and hearts with me. You've helped me in more ways than you'll likely ever know.
"I'm on your side when times get rough" and when times are simply amazing.
Happy Mother's Day.
Bridge Over Troubled Waters by Simon and Garfunkel
"When you're weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all
I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down..."
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all
I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down..."
Comments
Post a Comment