It's just about 4am and for some reason my mind has decided this is a good time to wake up. Outside my bedroom window, I can hear the wind and a light rain. I love the sound of rain through an open window and begin to think about how comforting that is. I could get up, turn on a light or two or maybe even make coffee. But, I decide to do none of those. At least for a few minutes.
I know why I've woken early today and yesterday and the day before that. I'm watching August pass by and beginning to worry about everything that has yet to be done. Teachers return September 1st and students on September 8th. I always feel such a responsibility to have so much completed before the return. It's an unrealistic worry as I am certain, with some part of my mind, that we will be more than ready to welcome everyone back and hit the ground running in September.
So I begin to talk myself out of this worry. What is it about summer that causes us to create the biggest of organizational plans and put pressure on ourselves to do so much? Some of the most important preparations we will make for students' return aren't even physical preparations. Some of them involve mindset, hope, and faith in our students and each other.
I've noticed that the rain is getting louder now and the wind stronger. In its own way, I think nature is telling my mind to stop. Be quiet. Sit back, just listen and be.
Take in the sound and message of it all.
I know why I've woken early today and yesterday and the day before that. I'm watching August pass by and beginning to worry about everything that has yet to be done. Teachers return September 1st and students on September 8th. I always feel such a responsibility to have so much completed before the return. It's an unrealistic worry as I am certain, with some part of my mind, that we will be more than ready to welcome everyone back and hit the ground running in September.
So I begin to talk myself out of this worry. What is it about summer that causes us to create the biggest of organizational plans and put pressure on ourselves to do so much? Some of the most important preparations we will make for students' return aren't even physical preparations. Some of them involve mindset, hope, and faith in our students and each other.
I've noticed that the rain is getting louder now and the wind stronger. In its own way, I think nature is telling my mind to stop. Be quiet. Sit back, just listen and be.
Take in the sound and message of it all.
"Maybe raindrops are the bravest thing created by God. Want to know why?
It is because they are never afraid of falling."
- Unknown
- Unknown
Comments
Post a Comment