In just a few weeks, I'll welcome back my team to school. Many of them have already been in to prepare classrooms, finish up summer curriculum, and provide input into some district committee work.
There's a certain sense of calmness in starting year four with a group you so very much admire. I'm thankful for that.
Our students start the second week of September. Each year, there is a welcome back assembly for the entire school. Over the last few weeks, I've been telling myself that I need to use this first assembly to really provide our students with a message that sticks. What are the most important words to be said?
Earlier this summer, I read an awesome piece by Kari Kampakis. The article, 10 Truths Middle Schoolers Should Know, was written to the adolescent learner. It's a list of encouragement that I found helpful as a Principal and a Mom. I've decided to take the ideas from that article and use it to frame the welcome back assembly.
The idea is I'll seek volunteers from the staff that can speak to some of the truths for a minute or two. They'll join me on the stage to share. It's a time to show our hearts to our students. It's a chance to put ourselves back in those shoes.
I can't pretend to think every student will connect with all of the words on the screen or even the stories from the adults. But, that doesn't mean the words aren't worth saying or sharing.
And who knows, it may connect with more students than we even know.
That possibility makes it worth it. It's almost time to "be more awesome".
There's a certain sense of calmness in starting year four with a group you so very much admire. I'm thankful for that.
Our students start the second week of September. Each year, there is a welcome back assembly for the entire school. Over the last few weeks, I've been telling myself that I need to use this first assembly to really provide our students with a message that sticks. What are the most important words to be said?
Earlier this summer, I read an awesome piece by Kari Kampakis. The article, 10 Truths Middle Schoolers Should Know, was written to the adolescent learner. It's a list of encouragement that I found helpful as a Principal and a Mom. I've decided to take the ideas from that article and use it to frame the welcome back assembly.
The idea is I'll seek volunteers from the staff that can speak to some of the truths for a minute or two. They'll join me on the stage to share. It's a time to show our hearts to our students. It's a chance to put ourselves back in those shoes.
I can't pretend to think every student will connect with all of the words on the screen or even the stories from the adults. But, that doesn't mean the words aren't worth saying or sharing.
And who knows, it may connect with more students than we even know.
That possibility makes it worth it. It's almost time to "be more awesome".
Love the Haiku Deck and the Kid President talk for a Welcome Back to School Assembly theme. I think you're right on track with finding ways of connecting with the kids.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I love Kid President. I am excited to see what my teachers bring to the 10 truths. I know they'll make it remarkable.
DeleteI LOVE how your message was about the important stuff (not testing & scores)! Start the year off right ~ have a great year!
ReplyDeleteThank you. I really appreciate your taking time to comment.
Delete