As a member of #compelledtribe, we have been asked to write about our plans for the summer and I hope to be able to use this post to adequately describe some of my plans for summer.
I've worked in a school since 1992 and each summer, without fail, I am always asked by family members:
"So, what do you do all summer anyway?"
The question is a genuine one. I think, as educators, we take for granted that others outside schools know how important summer time work is. Some of my most important work can happen in the summer. Sure, there is the mandated paperwork that I must complete (year end reports, federal grant applications, master schedule updates, etc.). But summer provides a chance for reflection and refocus.
At the end of this school year, I asked my building to give me feedback about the year through a survey. Two of the questions provided me with a lot of information to process during these summer months.
#1: If you could identify ONE building goal for next year, what would it be?
#2: If you could identify ONE need for your own professional development, what would it be?
In time for our last faculty meeting in June, I created these simple charts (from their ideas) for staff to see. The last week of June would not have been a time to start digging into them but the feedback deserved mention and review before summer began.
Over the next few weeks as I meet with various teachers and my leadership team, one of my biggest jobs will be to simplify this feedback to create measureable building goals and a focus for the year ahead. Sketching out a road map for the upcoming year is likely one of the most important tasks I'll need to do this summer. Any good map provides directions for many routes. I'll need to carefully craft a proposal for my leadership team's review, input, and refinement.
Professionally, my main goal this summer is not to take on too many new ideas but to do better at the ideas I've already tried. There are specific things that I need to do better at before I move onto different skills. I'm going to try to employ a "less is more" mindset for my own improvement.
Luckily, self-improvement can happen through a variety of methods. In addition to reflection, I have books that need to be read (professional and MS Children's Literature) and workshops to attend. Making connections with other leaders is where deep learning can occur for me. I'll use Twitter and Voxer for my daily professional development as well. The chance to reconnect with members of my PLN provides an immeasurable impact to my practice.
So, this weekend, when I am asked by my mother about what I do all summer, I'll be prepared with a better reply than an eye roll. I'll simply say:
"Reflect, Refocus, and Reconnect."
I've got more than enough work to be done in these three Rs as both Mom and Principal.
Here's to an awesome summer!
I've worked in a school since 1992 and each summer, without fail, I am always asked by family members:
"So, what do you do all summer anyway?"
The question is a genuine one. I think, as educators, we take for granted that others outside schools know how important summer time work is. Some of my most important work can happen in the summer. Sure, there is the mandated paperwork that I must complete (year end reports, federal grant applications, master schedule updates, etc.). But summer provides a chance for reflection and refocus.
At the end of this school year, I asked my building to give me feedback about the year through a survey. Two of the questions provided me with a lot of information to process during these summer months.
#1: If you could identify ONE building goal for next year, what would it be?
#2: If you could identify ONE need for your own professional development, what would it be?
In time for our last faculty meeting in June, I created these simple charts (from their ideas) for staff to see. The last week of June would not have been a time to start digging into them but the feedback deserved mention and review before summer began.
Over the next few weeks as I meet with various teachers and my leadership team, one of my biggest jobs will be to simplify this feedback to create measureable building goals and a focus for the year ahead. Sketching out a road map for the upcoming year is likely one of the most important tasks I'll need to do this summer. Any good map provides directions for many routes. I'll need to carefully craft a proposal for my leadership team's review, input, and refinement.
Professionally, my main goal this summer is not to take on too many new ideas but to do better at the ideas I've already tried. There are specific things that I need to do better at before I move onto different skills. I'm going to try to employ a "less is more" mindset for my own improvement.
Luckily, self-improvement can happen through a variety of methods. In addition to reflection, I have books that need to be read (professional and MS Children's Literature) and workshops to attend. Making connections with other leaders is where deep learning can occur for me. I'll use Twitter and Voxer for my daily professional development as well. The chance to reconnect with members of my PLN provides an immeasurable impact to my practice.
So, this weekend, when I am asked by my mother about what I do all summer, I'll be prepared with a better reply than an eye roll. I'll simply say:
"Reflect, Refocus, and Reconnect."
I've got more than enough work to be done in these three Rs as both Mom and Principal.
Here's to an awesome summer!

Comments
Post a Comment