Skip to main content

You Just Never Know

I was born two months too early back in 1970. My mother tells me that few expected me to live and if I did, she was told, I would likely have significant intellectual disabilities. My mother and grandmother refused to believe that prediction.

In high school, I can remember meeting with my guidance counselor. He was trying to convince me to sign up for the military as he didn't think I was college material.

You just never know what can be.

Late last week, three of my eighth grade girls came to tell me thank you for an awesome event at school. Out of all the students in the school, it had not occurred to me that they would enjoy the event and be brave enough to say what they really thought. We spent some time talking, openly, about how they felt about a variety of topics. I was touched by their honesty.

You just never know what will matter to someone.

How about my friend the new middle school principal? He spent ten years at the high school level and only two of those years as an assistant principal. He had no idea he'd enjoy being a middle school principal as much as he does. Sometimes you take a leap of faith and things end up right where they're supposed to.

You just never know what opportunity is around the corner.

I think about my colleague who is a principal in another district. Things are incredibly busy for her right now at work. But, on top of that, her heart is breaking. She's been called to be with her mother who is with hospice. She'll go into work tomorrow to make sure everything is taken care of at work but then she'll hit the road to be with family. She'll likely tell few people she's juggling as much as she is.

You just never know what kind of struggles others are enduring.

In 1992, I graduated from the College of New Rochelle anxious to become a special education teacher. I sent out over 70 resumes to schools in our area. I was granted an interview at Indian Lake Central School. I had never been to Indian Lake, NY, but I wanted to teach. I attended the interview and was given the one year maternity leave position. When that position ended, a contact at the school recommended me to a nearby school and I've been employed ever since. I've been employed in a career that I've loved since the beginning. I've never felt as if I was reporting to "work". I was reporting to "service". Fast forward 23 years, and I've been honored with the 2015 designation as NYS Middle School Principal of the Year from SAANYS. It truly doesn't seem possible. (I actually had some trouble typing that -- not believing it all just yet, I guess). I'm incredibly humbled by the award and share the honor with my entire building. I spent the better part of last week thanking so many people and reflecting on what this all could and does mean.

You just never know when an amazing moment will come your way. 

These snapshots are what make up our lives. Some of them positive and some of them difficult. But, what we do know is that no one person can make it through something without the help of others. No one overcomes the odds life deals us on his own. And, no one celebrates the successes that life presents us on her own.

As long as we keep believing in each other, we'll never know what might be, could be, or we can be. You just never know.

Comments

  1. You're right, you just never know...Who knew that about a year and half ago, I would have connected with the most amazing group of professionals over one little tweet? That one little tweet, turned into GHOs, a Voxer group, and an EdCamp, a few conference meet ups, and lots of laughs. Most importantly, that one little tweet led to some wonderful friends and colleagues that have enriched my life beyond measure. I am so incredibly grateful to have gotten to know you, and to be able to call you friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I agree. Who would have predicted what this crazy group of Edcampers would do or become. So thankful you are part of it and my life. Some of my funniest times have been with you.

      Delete
  2. I love this Lisa. So inspiring - and not only that, just a good reminder that things happen for a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...