Skip to main content

We All Need Reminders

Sometimes we expect too much of ourselves. Sometimes we expect more out of others than we do of ourselves. Sometimes, as educators, we expect more out of students than is expected of us. During a recent after school meeting centered on the topic of PBIS and the research behind it, there were some key pieces that resonated with me as presented by our speaker.

Don't rely on punishment to change behavior.
Don't think any reinforcer will work for every student. 
Don't think taking away something will change the behavior.

And...likely the best piece for me to remember:

When it's really important, we remind. 

Don't worry if we have to remind students what is needed. As adults, we get reminders all the time. I don't know what I would do without all the reminders I use each day. Providing students with reminders will not enable them or make them any less independent. 

When we stop to really think about what we do, out of habit or tradition (or because that's the way THEY did it back when WE were kids), the discrepancies are there. If we really consider what we are saying -- and even say it out loud -- we know it not to be true.

As a building, we have a learned a lot about behavior and students over the last three years. We've learned that misbehavior serves a function. Students are sending us a message when they misbehave. It's just that the message isn't made up of words. It's made up of actions that let us know a myriad of possible causes. It could be from not feeling well to not understanding the work as presented to fearing embarrassment in front of a peer. 

No one person implements PBIS in a building. The synergy created by the collaborative efforts of our teams move us forward. I can not give justice to the work our PBIS team and teachers have put into the program. It has been nothing short of remarkable! Our best PBIS work has not been a result of stand alone consequences, zero tolerance policies, or strict discipline.  Our best PBIS work has been the result of connections, conversations and reteachings. 

Part of our commitment to the program includes revisiting statements we hear as we are implementing PBIS. Many of those are the bold statements above. It's deliberate work to support a PBIS initiative. You don't just decide to implement PBIS. You commit to it. Commitment requires all hands in.

Our job now, and moving forward, is to recognize the difference between a myth and a truth. Myths hold us back. Truths move us ahead. When we take the time to consider the statements we hear from each other or ourselves about the program, it strengthens us.

Moving forward, we rely on reminders to keep us on track...students, staff, and principal.


"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." 
- Maya Angelou


Comments

  1. I have been a part of many different programs in my time, but have yet to hear of PBIS. I am guessing that it is probably an US thing maybe. I mused lately about whether a focus on learning rather than discipline has been the biggest change in the 21st century (http://readwriterespond.com/?p=330). It is always such an interesting topic. Coming back to your 'one word challenge' I feel that the one word could be 'learning' when it comes to such matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, I just took the time to read your post and loved so much of it. "If there are students who are disengaged, my first port of call is not to chastise them or make veiled threats. My first port of call is me. What are they meant to be doing? Why are they disengaged? " It always starts with us. Thank you for the comments.

      Delete
  2. We have partnered with Vanderbilt to implement PBIS the last four years in our school. It has shifted everyone's perspective to focusing on what kids are doing right. It helps promote attention in a positive way instead of a negative one and allows for a focus on learning. Excited to see what your school does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, Thanks so much for taking time to comment. We had the support of our regional special ed BOCES support for PBIS. But the real work has been done by our team. Great to hear about other school successes!

      Delete
  3. I love the Maya Angelou quote you included, because it's so true. Over my many years in education I think that has been the case - we try to do our very best and then as we learn better techniques, we adapt and change. Keeping a focus on the positive while revisiting program statements/goals is definitely a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! As long as we keep trying to improve, we are on the right path (or at least I hope so!). Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. This post is so validating to the work we are doing in our school (system) this year. PBIS has been an important part of the students (and teachers) experience since August. I have been very intentional to pay attention to the climate of our building since we have implemented the work. Pretty awesome to see such a quick return on such an important way of supporting kids.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Craig
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Craig, Our PBIS team believes this work had a direct and almost immediate impact on school culture for staff and students. It's not easy work (and sometimes not popular) but it is so worth it. Thanks for taking time to read and leave a note. I appreciate it and YOU!
      #compelledtribe

      Delete
  5. Great post Lisa... I always learn so much from you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I you...we define reciprocal teaching at its best. Pretty sure I am in the lead for gaining inspiration from you. Keep on, keeping on. All the best, L

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...