This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend the New York State Middle School Association's Conference. Typically, conferences are about attending a workshop or two and leaving with an idea to use in your practice when/if you can. While I did attend some of the workshops, more of my takeaways were a result of listening to other passionate middle level leaders and teachers talk.
For some, middle level schooling and leadership is an unknown. You're either in an elementary school or your're in a secondary school. Middle level teachers and leaders know differently. We recognize we are truly somewhere in between.
During a Saturday morning panel, Stephen Zielinski may have said it best...
Middle School is every single thing all at once.
If you work in a middle school, you'll understand this description. Teaching and leading in a middle school IS really about juggling every single thing at once. It can be both incredibly draining and incredibly rewarding at the very same time. Middle school is about so much more than the 3Rs. Middle school students are students in transition both emotionally, physically, chemically and academically.
As I sat in the audience listening to the speakers share, I tweeted some of the notes that hit home most for me at this time. The notes weren't about new ideas I would "try out" when I had the chance. The notes are about reminding me what we already stand for in our building -- almost a set of affirmations if you will.
That's the kind of PD that sticks with you.
(If storify link does not appear below (it keeps going offline today), check out all of the tweets from #NYSMSA14 for more affirmations.)
For some, middle level schooling and leadership is an unknown. You're either in an elementary school or your're in a secondary school. Middle level teachers and leaders know differently. We recognize we are truly somewhere in between.
Middle School is every single thing all at once.
If you work in a middle school, you'll understand this description. Teaching and leading in a middle school IS really about juggling every single thing at once. It can be both incredibly draining and incredibly rewarding at the very same time. Middle school is about so much more than the 3Rs. Middle school students are students in transition both emotionally, physically, chemically and academically.
As I sat in the audience listening to the speakers share, I tweeted some of the notes that hit home most for me at this time. The notes weren't about new ideas I would "try out" when I had the chance. The notes are about reminding me what we already stand for in our building -- almost a set of affirmations if you will.
That's the kind of PD that sticks with you.
(If storify link does not appear below (it keeps going offline today), check out all of the tweets from #NYSMSA14 for more affirmations.)
I graduated from college wanting to teach high school, and I found out quickly that I was wrong. I have a middle school heart as an educator. And I agree, it is "every single thing all at once . . . "
ReplyDeleteMS is a special place to be. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate it.
DeleteIt is so cool to be in the middle!
ReplyDeleteEspecially if you're part of a cool MS Principal Voxer group :) with amazing principals all around you! ;)
DeleteLove the Middle! I am on the Executive Board for the Ohio Middle Level Association and head to Nashville for AMLE in a couple weeks! Great kids and such amazing teachers that work with this age group. We are the lucky ones!
ReplyDeleteCraig
#compelledtribe
PS - Any chance I can get on your blog roll as part of Fueled? Would be some great company!
Thanks!
WHAT?! Not sure how I could miss adding someone who inspires me to blog and share my ideas. Fixed! Phew. I never imagined I would love MS as much as I do. It really is the best place to be. #compelledtribe
Delete