Skip to main content

Where Am I Running To?

School began just two weeks ago. It's always a feverish start. No matter how much work is completed in the summer before, I somehow end up trapped in that same frenetic pace. Two days ago, I was literally running to get out the door and to work. As I almost stepped out the door and into the garage, a voice inside my head whispered, "Where are you running to?".

At the same time, I heard my son call from the top of the stairs, "Hey Mom, Wait! I have a question".

It occurred to me that I needed to stop. Slow down, Lisa. Go back into the house completely and listen to him. So I did. I put my bag down and went back into the house to talk with Sam and answer all of his last minute questions.

Yes, I was 15 minutes later to work than I usually arrived but nothing bad happened. School begins for teachers in my building near 7:30. I had begun the year trying to get there by 6:50. Today, I missed that time. I was late.

Well, not really. I am happy to report that the sky did not fall upon my late arrival to school. In fact, the arrival was beautiful.



I've spent the last couple of days thinking about that phrase -- Where am I running toWhere are we running to? It's a tough question on a personal level and on a professional level.

As I ramble through these ideas, it's the first Saturday in a long time that I haven't jetted off somewhere to accomplish an errand or attend an event. I decided last night there'd be no running to anything today. A part of me feels like I should already be in the car on my way to somewhere. Another part of me disagrees.

As an educator, I think we often want progress overnight. We want to see results immediately but we forget sometimes it's about the journey and not the destination. Sometimes, it's about that 15 more minutes listening to a child than it is about anything else.  We forget that some of the best trips begin with baby steps. We can't get from point A to point B in 5 days. We want our schools to do everything all at the same time and with exact precision.

Unfortunately, it rarely works out that way.  We know better than that.Yet when we find ourselves unable to get to our destination in the time we have allocated, we criticize ourselves. We even criticize each other.

We know better than that so let's stop it. We need to give ourselves more credit for where we are today. There's good happening all around us if we take the time to see it and listen for it. Instead of always looking ahead, take time to take a full look around you.

Comments

  1. Great share Lisa. It would seem that there is something in the air at the moment. Although not quite the same, I also wrote a reflection on celebrating the small things relating to innovation http://readingwritingresponding.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/celebrating-innovation-both-big-and.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...