Earlier this week, Jennifer Hogan posted a listing of motivational video clips for school leaders and teachers. I am always collecting good clips for future use. Music and video clips sometimes say what I am feeling, in part, but can't put into words.
One of the best clips was by Maya Angelou.
(click Maya's name or see clip below...does not show on mobile version)
I've watched it at least 10 times over the week. One of the parts that most resonates with me at this time is the following:
Pick up the battle, take it up...
This is your life. This is your world...
You make your own choices...
Try it.
See.
So pick it up.
Pick up the battle and make it a better world.
Just where you are.
Yes, and it can be better. And it must be better.
But it is up to us.
The clip doesn't make me think of all the little things I'll likely be consumed with once school starts. It makes me think of the most important things...things that are not things at all, but people.
Our people are our very own kids, students, parents, families, staff, faculty, and communities.
These are the very same people that hope we do indeed do our part to make the world, even just our part of the world, a little bit better.
Think of the impact we could all have if we "just do right".
One of the best clips was by Maya Angelou.
(click Maya's name or see clip below...does not show on mobile version)
I've watched it at least 10 times over the week. One of the parts that most resonates with me at this time is the following:
Pick up the battle, take it up...
This is your life. This is your world...
You make your own choices...
Try it.
See.
So pick it up.
Pick up the battle and make it a better world.
Just where you are.
Yes, and it can be better. And it must be better.
But it is up to us.
The clip doesn't make me think of all the little things I'll likely be consumed with once school starts. It makes me think of the most important things...things that are not things at all, but people.
Our people are our very own kids, students, parents, families, staff, faculty, and communities.
These are the very same people that hope we do indeed do our part to make the world, even just our part of the world, a little bit better.
Think of the impact we could all have if we "just do right".
I often say her quote to my students, "When you know better, you gotta do better." Thanks for sharing, Lisa. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful year!
ReplyDeleteJennifer
#compelledtribe
Jennifer, thank you so much for your reading and support all the better. I love the quote you note above. There's something about the #compelledtribe that is bringing me such hope for the new year. :)
DeleteThanks for sharing Lisa... you are truly helping us all on this journey of teaching AND learning! Keep up the wonderful efforts and enjoy the days and weeks ahead of making that difference!
ReplyDeleteCraig
The group keeps me hopeful and focused. Thank you for starting #compelledtribe
DeleteThanks for sharing Lisa! Awesome words of advice-Just do right! I think I will be sharing with my teachers tomorrow as I go to work!
ReplyDeleteJarred
Such a pay it forward kind of idea...started with Jennifer, then to me, now to you. Let's keep it going! :) All the best,
DeleteL