Skip to main content

Poker Chips

Tonight was our 6th grade handbells, band and chorus concert. Shortly before the concert, I was jotting some notes to use to welcome the audience in our school auditorium. I was trying to find some magical words about why programs, like our stellar music program, are important in schools.

You may never hear about our concert tonight. It may never make the news like state test scores or school report cards do. But, as I sat in the audience, I had some thoughts worth sharing.

Our current sixth grade has 97 students enrolled. I asked our grade 6 band teacher how many students would be on stage tonight and he reported 70! That's 72% of our entire grade level! The groups that took the stage tonight included:


  • Grade 6 Handbells 
  • Grade 6 Handbells Class (students who are not enrolled in Music 6, Chorus or Band, can choose this class to take instead. These students are invited to participate in each concert!). 
  • Grade 6 Band
  • Grade 6 Select Chorus Groups (three groups!)
  • Grade 6 Chorus


It was a great show! As principal, I genuinely enjoy listening to our band and chorus teachers tell us the little stories about each selection. Their passion for the music and the students comes through. They make me so proud. The students sounded good!

But as Mom...as Mom, I enjoyed watching my son on stage. It was his first Band concert. Having just started French Horn lessons this past Fall, I was secretly thrilled when we found out he would be able to join Band after only a short time with formal lessons. Chorus was fun to watch as well. Our teacher builds in some neat dance moves and accompaniments that add to the selections. Sam was fortunate to have a chance at a solo during this concert.

You know that feeling right before you see your child take that leap (could be anything...like sing a solo for first time, swing a bat at the critical part of game, or do something independently he/she hadn't done before)? That feeling was there as I watched Sam approach the mic. But, then he sang. It was great and a proud Mom moment.

And there it was...at the end of the day, THAT is what we want kids to feel. We want them to feel our pride and hope for them.

Rick LaVoie calls this filling up our kids with "good stuff" as the poker chips.


All of these experiences in school help build how we feel about ourselves. When good things happen to you, you get a lot of poker chips. Kids use these poker chips throughout other experiences that happen that are harder to get through (losing a game, failing a test, having someone say something mean...). 

Some kids, according to Mr. LaVoie, don't have enough poker chips and that is what impacts their self-esteem. How do we build up a student's self-esteem? "You find the one thing that child can do well and you make a big deal out of it! (LaVoie)."

Tonight was about making a big deal out of the talents all of our children have. These 70 students will walk into our school tomorrow with a lot more poker chips than they left with yesterday. 

Here's to a job well done, Mr. Ruggiero and Mrs. Aldridge. 

Bravo kids!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...