Today was one of those days I was wishing for a redo, retake, or do over. It wasn't for a math test or social studies assignment for a student. It was more about a rewind for me. Leaders aren't supposed to make mistakes. Leaders are supposed to know all the answers in record time. Leaders don't let others see them sweat. Sometimes my leading with the heart becomes too animated and emotional. As much as I try, I can't contain my personality. It's a flaw I have struggled with for some time now.
As I reflect on the events of the day, I'm trying to get myself to look at this from a different mindset. My reading and re-reading of Carol Dweck reminds me I can choose my mindset if I am deliberate about it.
http://thefiscalfemme.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/85-Broads_Inner-Badass_Carol-Dweck-02.04.14.png
Two hours ago, I was clearly stuck in fixed mindset. I was upset by a conversation and the ending of it was not as I had hoped. I could feel myself becoming defensive during it. And I know better than to do that! However, my lack of feeling heard was impacting my mindset and I was too deep in the moment to realize it.
I reached out to a member of my PLN to vent and he reminded me to look at the possibility for change the situation presented. I plan on spending some time this evening doing just that. I know, on some level, that today was just part of a purposeful struggle. I'm one of those people who think bad days happen to take us to good days.
"In a fixed mindset, a mistake means forget it, you're no good at this...but in a growth mindset, it's a natural part of learning" (Dweck).
Here's to taking what I've learned and facing the days ahead knowing more tomorrow than I did today.
As I reflect on the events of the day, I'm trying to get myself to look at this from a different mindset. My reading and re-reading of Carol Dweck reminds me I can choose my mindset if I am deliberate about it.
http://thefiscalfemme.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/85-Broads_Inner-Badass_Carol-Dweck-02.04.14.png
Two hours ago, I was clearly stuck in fixed mindset. I was upset by a conversation and the ending of it was not as I had hoped. I could feel myself becoming defensive during it. And I know better than to do that! However, my lack of feeling heard was impacting my mindset and I was too deep in the moment to realize it.
I reached out to a member of my PLN to vent and he reminded me to look at the possibility for change the situation presented. I plan on spending some time this evening doing just that. I know, on some level, that today was just part of a purposeful struggle. I'm one of those people who think bad days happen to take us to good days.
"In a fixed mindset, a mistake means forget it, you're no good at this...but in a growth mindset, it's a natural part of learning" (Dweck).
Here's to taking what I've learned and facing the days ahead knowing more tomorrow than I did today.

Comments
Post a Comment