After multiple days of attending the Network Team Institute training offered by NYSED, I find myself decompressing from all of the information and ideas shared throughout the week.
Here's what I know...
I still have a ton of work to do in order to become more skilled in understanding the modules. I still can't see them being implemented as whole parts. I need to reserve judgment on them as an instructional tool until I can say I have dived into every one of them (at my level). I haven't, so I won't.
My original thought on the standards (alone) has not changed much. The standards, on their own, and with time, may very well be reachable with support, resources, professional development and direction.
Here's what I want to know...
Commissioner John King gave two amazing speeches on two of the days. They were incredible. I found myself really relating to the sentiment of the speeches. I want to know if he is aware how much of his message is lost in translation as it filters down from district to school to the individual level. What he shared those two days was powerful. My teachers and families would benefit from hearing it.
Here's what I learned...
There is still much room for improvement in roll out, resource distribution, lack of understanding regarding realities surrounding implementation, APPR, and understanding vendor relationships in this empire of Common Core.
I heard over and over that there is no need to implement the modules as is. Adapting was actually promoted. However, some principals indicated they were implementing them fully (adopting). Some even indicated they were not given a choice (from district level) to adapt and had to instruct teachers to adopt.
Most likely the best part of the work over the three days was interacting with administrators and teachers from all over New York State. There wasn't one session where I did not take an idea from another principal. Some of it on topic and some of it off topic. Networking with other professionals is the best part of any professional development.
For now, I am glad I work in a district that is not forcing adoption of the modules. I trust my teachers to adapt and use parts where they feel most appropriate. Good teaching isn't following a script, module, textbook or basal series. Good teaching is following your heart.
You can check out the tweets from the sessions here.
Here's what I know...
I still have a ton of work to do in order to become more skilled in understanding the modules. I still can't see them being implemented as whole parts. I need to reserve judgment on them as an instructional tool until I can say I have dived into every one of them (at my level). I haven't, so I won't.
My original thought on the standards (alone) has not changed much. The standards, on their own, and with time, may very well be reachable with support, resources, professional development and direction.
Here's what I want to know...
Commissioner John King gave two amazing speeches on two of the days. They were incredible. I found myself really relating to the sentiment of the speeches. I want to know if he is aware how much of his message is lost in translation as it filters down from district to school to the individual level. What he shared those two days was powerful. My teachers and families would benefit from hearing it.
Here's what I learned...
There is still much room for improvement in roll out, resource distribution, lack of understanding regarding realities surrounding implementation, APPR, and understanding vendor relationships in this empire of Common Core.
I heard over and over that there is no need to implement the modules as is. Adapting was actually promoted. However, some principals indicated they were implementing them fully (adopting). Some even indicated they were not given a choice (from district level) to adapt and had to instruct teachers to adopt.
Most likely the best part of the work over the three days was interacting with administrators and teachers from all over New York State. There wasn't one session where I did not take an idea from another principal. Some of it on topic and some of it off topic. Networking with other professionals is the best part of any professional development.
For now, I am glad I work in a district that is not forcing adoption of the modules. I trust my teachers to adapt and use parts where they feel most appropriate. Good teaching isn't following a script, module, textbook or basal series. Good teaching is following your heart.
You can check out the tweets from the sessions here.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI like this idea of using a graphic organizer to capture your thoughts.
Thank you so much for reading Carol.
ReplyDelete