Skip to main content

Who's In?

Recently, a twitter connection of mine, Jon Harper, challenged us to spend less time crafting and editing our blog posts and more time on just putting the words of appreciation to print. Take 30 minutes to share a positive story. In the spirit of his challenge, I'd like to share an early morning reflection I am having about my son Sam.

It would take much longer than 30 minutes to describe Sam. Suffice it to say, he is a neat kid. He clearly walks to the beat of his own drummer (which can get him into trouble sometimes), cares deeply about others, is a dedicated friend (sometimes too much so), and tolerates being the Principal's son way better than I had hoped. His perceptions keep me in check in school and outside of school.

My son has been battling a queasy stomach, short lived, over the last three weeks and has been sent home by ill. As any overprotective mom (Mama Bear?) might do, I started to analyze the illness and noticed the symptoms only seemed present during the school week.

I had an evening meeting last night but got out earlier than expected and raced home. I was able to talk with Sam before he went to bed. I pushed and pushed...."Is there anything bothering you at school?" "How are you feeling about such and such class?" "Did someone pick on you?" "Did something happen again at recess?". I went on and on.

Sam put up with my questions as long as he could and then just said, "Mom, it's just a headache. I think I might be dehydrated and not drinking enough."

What? THAT's all it is?

And he spent the next five minutes reassuring me that things were ok. Sure, there were some hard parts of his day but he was seeing improvement and felt like he was handling it well or at least learning from some mistakes he made. We talked about that part for awhile. I sat and listened. I was thinking, "How did he learn to be so confident and reflective in his thinking?".

"Ok, well let's try taking a water bottle to school tomorrow and see if you notice a difference, ok?"

"Yeah, that is what I was thinking, Mom."


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I do this all the time. I worry and worry and then it ends up being something small. Sometimes I think I give away all my energy and rational thought at school and by the time I get home I have less patience and energy for my own kids. This needs to change. Thanks for joining in and have a great day. I have my 2nd snow day in a row. yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, thanks so much for the comment. You are spot on that we need to be careful not to give all of ourselves away before we get home. Point well taken!

      Delete
  2. I think that this is not only a symptom of being a mom, but it's also a symptom of working in education. We are conditioned to explore all possibilities when it comes to our students and their success or lack thereof. I know that when I am faced with a student who is struggling I do the exact same thing. "Are you sure there isn't something else going on?" is a regular refrain in my office. I don't always get the answer that I want or expect, and sometimes it is nothing more than the simple fact that a student is having a bad day.

    Meanwhile, it sounds like Sam is quite the insightful guy. That will certainly serve him well in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! I totally agree. And Sam...yes, he is pretty insightful. Keeps me on my toes.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...