Being a school administrator is not always what I thought it would
be. Somewhere a few weeks back, I noticed a tweet that said being a Principal
was near the top of the most stressful jobs in the nation. I believe it! Back
when I first thought of making the jump from teacher to lead learner, I had big
ideas. I was going to help more kids and do great things. Naively, I thought it
looked manageable, easy, and fun. It is certainly not always manageable. It is
rarely easy. Yet, it can sometimes be fun -- as long we keep our focus
clear.
Like many other NY administrators this
time of year, I am swamped by all the work I need to do. I worry about loose
ends I could make tighter. I get frustrated about the current pace of some
projects and my availability for others. If I am not careful, I might easily
slide into a negative state mind.
But I don't. I am really good at venting
for a few minutes and getting over it. I can find humor in almost anything. I
try to employ a growth mindset in my work as best as I can. I am also
incredibly lucky to have nurtured an amazing group of colleagues that I can
call on for advice, laughter and even constructive criticism when needed. Some
of these are friends I have made through twitter.
I take some hits from others about twitter
and having a "PLN". I posted recently I was tired of the social media
jokes. Moments ago, I realized the jokes need not matter to me. I consider
myself lucky to be connected to some of the finest, most dedicated
professionals within NYS and beyond.
Peter makes me a better leader by modeling how to stand up for
what is right. Vicki makes me a better leader by pushing me outside my comfort
zone to try new ideas. Peter and Vicki were part of my core PLN which has now
grown into a larger group of people (including Tim and Christina) who help
refuel my desire to perform at my fullest capability as a leader.
My outside school PLN combined with my
inside school PLN are indeed bright spots for me.
Needed to take time tonight to put all that in print. I am one lucky, lead learner.
It is my pleasure as well as being in your PLN. You are AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteVicki
To think this all started through a book study...You rock!
Delete