Skip to main content

Blogging Challenge

And just when I thought I would settle down for a long winter's nap, I am hit with a blogging challenge from Tony Sinanis. Tony is one of those principals who sets the pace for me and challenges me not to become set in my ways or thinking. I've never "met" him in person but follow him on twitter weekly. I know better than to ignore Tony.
So let's get started on this challenge.


HERE ARE THE RULES OF THE CHALLENGE:
  • Acknowledge the nominating blogger.Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  • Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  • List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition and a little blogging love!
  • Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they’ve been nominated.  (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.) 

11 Random Facts About Me...

1.) I once traveled to Scotland and London with a dear group of female friends. Was the best trip I have ever been on.  Don't ask me about my driving skills when I was there.
2.) I am still in touch with friends from all phases of growing up thanks to social media.
3.) I met my father when I was 21 right after meeting my 1/2 sister at my first teaching position in Indian Lake. It is a great story....my sister makes fun of me for telling it.
4.) My grandmother was the most influential person in my childhood. She made me feel like I could do and be anything. We lived right next door to her for sometime.
5.) I collect snowmen.
6.) I have an incredibly cool, out of the box, kid. His name is Sam. He teaches me more about humanity than any other.
7.) I played basketball in college and loved every minute of it. Was even co-captain one year but not because of my skills on the court.
8.) My sense of humor gets me in trouble.
9.) I have a hearing loss and sometimes miss what people say or mean.
10.) I played violin from 5th grade - 12th grade. Never wanted first chair. Which worked out since I never earned it. :)
11.) My Master's thesis focused on gender bias in the classroom. It is uncanny how that work has helped me ever since.


Answers to Tony's Questions...
1) My favorite TV show is...I really should not confess but will. I do not watch a lot of TV but when I do, it is the Young and the Restless. (do not pick on me). 
2) My best twitter game changer has just been the resources I have learned from and used.
 3) I want my school to be the very best place for students and staff with a balanced focus on social-emotional learning with academic learning. Kids first. (Wait, that's two sentences.)
4) Being a connected educator to me means we are not alone in our work. It is inspiring to learn from each other.
5) One of the best lessons I have recently observed is where students did all of the work! They were engaged, knew the content, and applied it in their own way.
6) I am most proud of the culture that is growing in my school.
7) My PLN has made me a better principal and has helped me connect to so many rock stars in education. I learn more and more every day.
8) I am motivated by the responsibility that these students are all somebody's child. Kids matter. 
9)My current favorite device is my iphone 5. I still have so much to learn about it.
10) Being connected can revamp your mindset and why would you not want a positive, growth mindset?
11) It is easy to make me happy....not about things or places. It's about people and time.


The 10 Bloggers I would like to challenge...(was supposed to be 11 but a lot of people I follow have done this already.)

11 Questions for my Blogging Friends...

1) What is your best "pick me up/cheer up" song?
2) What is your favorite movie?
3) If you could change anything about the educational system in your area, what would it be?
4) What would you do, in your school, if you were given the funds to do so?
5) How do you handle the stress and negativity that our jobs sometimes bring?
6) What person have you most recently met -- face to face -- after following him/her on twitter?
7) Name one New Year's Resolution for 2014.
8) What book are you reading right now?
9) Tell about one of your proudest moments -- in just two sentences.
10) Tell about one of your saddest moments -- in just two sentences.
11) List three of your best qualities.

I am looking forward to learning more about my PLN. Thank you for considering this challenge! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

Shelf Life

I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position. "How long have you been there?" "Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district." "You do realize you've overstayed your welcome." "What?!" "Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that." That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent bo...

Google Classroom for the Principal

During August 2015, I attended a Google Camp for Administrators. One of the sessions was led by an edtech expert in my region, David Ashdown . I've followed David's work for nearly 15 years. He's always been in the front of technology use and I've stolen many a neat idea from him. He offered a session about Google Classroom and I attended thinking I needed to gather more ideas about this app for my teachers. However, in the session, David pushed our thinking in asking us to consider how we could use Google Classroom as administrators . He shared an example of setting up classrooms for different work groups and committees. I loved his idea! Almost immediately, I set up classrooms for committees in my building. This kept all of the information collected for each group (SDM, PBIS, etc.) all in one folder on the back end of Drive. I also created a classroom for my building. This is where I would post my weekly messages. Under the about tab, I also collected resources ...